You can use your P Drive at the university to host pages that can be seen on the web by following a few simple steps.
- Go into your P drive and add the files you wish to share into the folder called “public_html” (this should be there automatically, if not, contact IT services.
- Check to see if the folder has a file in it called “default.htm”, if it doesn’t, then open notepad, create a new notepad file and save it as “default.htm” (note you must specify that you are saving as “all file types”. Put this file into your “public_html” folder.
- Go to the website http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/ and type in your surname and “Submit” (NOTE: Students names wont automatically appear when you click “Submit”, you have to wait until the next page, choose your “status” and then search again).
- Click your name
- You should see a link under “Homepage”, copy this link
- Add to the end of the link a “/” followed by the exact file name and file type. So for example, when linking to a file called “Instructions.pdf”; http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/student/Joe.Bloggs would become http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/student/Joe.Bloggs/Instructions.pdf (Note: when using folders in your public_html folder, you will need to specify the folder names in a similar fashion, ie http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/student/Joe.Bloggs/foldername/Instructions.pdf)
- This is the link to your document on the web, by pasting it into a web browser you should be able to connect to your document.
Using your P Drive to host a website